Friday, September 28, 2007

The Shame of Philadelphia ... and New York

If I were a Flyers fan I would be hanging my head in shame today at the classlessness of their organization. Steve Downie was suspended 20 games today for doing this



Downie who has a pretty bad history when it comes to this kind of thing said this on ESPN:

"My game is hitting and finishing checks," Downie said. "I'm just trying to earn a spot on a roster. It's part of my game and I apologize for him getting hurt. I thought I got him clean. Unfortunately he hit the boards after."

The last time I checked, leaving your feet to blindside a guy in the head was not considered a "clean hit" but I don't expect intelligent discourse from a caveman like Downie. I do expect better of Flyers management than this quote from Flyers GM Paul Holmgren...

"My reaction is that it seems like a lot of games, but Colin Campbell is in a very difficult position and we respect his position and his judgment in this case,"

A lot of games? For potentially ending a guys career? Maybe Holmgren's just feeling bad for the kid because now he'll become a pariah of the hockey world. Like Marty McSorley, who wasn't even allowed to play in England during his suspension. But wait ...

Campbell said Downie would be available to play in the Flyers' AHL affiliate.

Downie has not played an NHL game with the Flyers and was expected to start the season in the minor leagues. The 20-year-old said after the game he thought it was a clean hit.


So the guy is suspended for 20 games assuming he ever gets called up? In other words, he basically receives no punishment for one of the most vicious checks I've seen in 30+ years of watching hockey. If this guy does suit up for the Phantoms like nothing ever happened it will be a dark day in Philadelphia. It already is in the league offices here in New York.

For Colin Campbell, who let Chris Simon go after Ryan Hollweg the other night (despite the fact that Simon was already serving a suspension for doing that) and has now let this loser off scott free I have one question ...

Have you no sense of decency, sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?